Saturday, February 9, 2013

Something to Believe In

Popular music is filled with lamenting over a brokenness, an emptiness in humanity that we all feel. The Good News of the Gospel speaks directly to that very real dilemma.

Tattoo of a cross on the arm of
Bret Michaels', lead vocalist of
the rock band "Poison".
The Spirit of God, the Master, is on me
    because God anointed me.
He sent me to preach good news to the poor,
    heal the heartbroken,
Announce freedom to all captives,

    pardon all prisoners.  Isaiah 61:1

Pain in our post-modern culture 
I was working out in the (newly expanded) Kansas State Recreation Center recently and heard blaring over the speakers an old song by the band Poison from the early 90's called Something to Believe In. The song resonates with something that runs deep in all of us. Namely, that we need something beyond and bigger than ourselves to anchor us, to hold onto. We need it at all times, but especially when storms of life come, such as through the death of a friend or family member or even when we become disillusioned by the widespread pain, corruption, hypocrisy, etc. in the world around us.

I always liked the song, so I looked it up online and listened to it on YouTube (listen below if you like). As I listened, I read some of the comments posted about the song. Here is a sample:

"Listened to this song after I got fired from a job I was at for 8 years. I was just having a lot of problems...I felt I lost everything that I held close to my heart."

"Sitting here and i am lonely, but hopefully there is someone who loves me or is thinking about me.."

"This song hit me like a ton of rocks. I'm always hiding behind a cloak of icy coldness and trying to act tough and be accepted. But inside, I'm just a lonely dude who has few friends...Girls won't even give me the time of day, or so it seems. Like I said, I'm just another lonely soul."

That last comment reminded me of another comment written in 2007 by Brad Delp, who was the lead singer in one of my favorite 1970's bands Boston. Delps wrote in a note: "I am a lonely soul", and then he committed suicide.

Clearly there is something written into our DNA that causes us to yearn for something meaningful and deeply personal in our lives.

Something - Anything, or Something True to Believe In?

Speaking for myself, I need something that is true, substantive, and that speaks to the deep, gnawing questions that wake me in the middle of the night. I have written elsewhere in this blog about why I believe faith in Jesus Christ meets all of these criteria and thus, provides true hope that is "an anchor for the soul, firm and secure." (1) (2)

Consider the things Jesus told us:

"If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me" (John 7:37-38)

"...surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)


Also, consider these excerpts from God's Word that have comforted me during troubled times:

"God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.
" (
Psalms 46:1-3)


The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me. (Psalms 23:1-4)

For Those Familiar with the Song Mentioned

If you are familiar with the song Something to Believe In, it raises questions about the dishonesty of some preachers, the problem of pain in our world, and even the striking disparity between the very poor and the very rich in our world. All fodder for rich discussion, perhaps in future posts if you are interested. It is helpful for me to realize that the folks who gave Jesus the most trouble were the religious leaders of his day. I implore you not to reject Jesus and all he offers simply because you may have encountered unjust preachers or perhaps self-righteous, hypocritical "Christians" who claim to represent Jesus. Take an honest look at the man himself, consider the words he said and the life he lived, and decide for yourself.

Jesus IS the real deal and he loves us all. He is the answer to loneliness, meaninglessness, hopelessness, and all other maladies of our human condition.


Footnotes:


(1)  Hebrews 6:19:  We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.
(2) See also my blog posts Leap of Faith, What is Truth, Science and Christianity, and "Do I Really Matter".

4 comments:

  1. Great post Dale, I agree, by putting your faith in Jesus and how he lived his life and what he was trying to teach us, which those lessons still relate to our world today. I really enjoyed reading this and listening to an old song I hadn't heard in awhile, I had to go find my Poison greatest hits cd. Keep blogging the Good Word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ross, I appreciate your comment and encouragement! There is a God-sized hole in everyone's heart that only he can fill. Btw, I'm glad you found your old Poison cd, and keep up the good work with your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this poignant song from late 1990, when I was going through a major depression. This song really made me think, as did several other songs of the time, such as George Michael's "Praying for Time," Bette Midler's "From a Distance," and Don Henley's "New York Minute."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your post Bob! You mentioned Bette Midler and Don Henley and I remember Bette's song "The Rose" and Don's song "The Heart of the Matter", which were also thought-provoking songs for me.

      Delete