Sunday, March 20, 2011

This is my first post!

The story of our life comes to us not as a math problem, but as a drama. (1) We fall in love, we laugh, and there is tragedy too. At the University, science teaches that our origins and our end are probably accidental. (2) We hear that there is no absolute truth but rather many “culturally-relative views”. In the name of secularism, discussions about faith are silenced in the classroom. Is this the way to help students better equip themselves for life in a challenging world? Let’s explore this together!

I don't believe any of my family, friends - or you - are here by accident!
(1) I recommend the book Epic, by John Eldredge, which explores this topic.
(2) Neil Postman's quote captures this well:  'In the end, science does not provide the answers most of us require. Its story of our origins and our end is, to say the least, unsatisfactory. To the question, "How did it all begin?", science answers, "Probably by accident."  To the question "How will it all end?", science answers "Probably by accident." And to many people, the accidental life is not worth living.' (Science and the Story That We Need, as quoted in the book Epic, by John Eldredge).

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Dr. Bremer,
    I think this is a very charming start. The origin and end of our life is a basic question, but also very important. We need to take a deep explore for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale, I am excited to follow your blog and enjoy the deep thought that it brings. Thanks!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dale, Congrats on this new venture.... I agree that the discussion is much-needed! May your blog be used by God to usher in a new, TRUE enlightenment on our campuses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dale, welcome to the world of blogs. I think you got a great start. I've subscribed to your rss feed. I like your first article and I look forward to reading and responding to the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr Dale,
    In a world gone crazy, ..THIS is nice! Thanks for the initiative to this, i'll stay tuned for future discussions.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete