Saturday, December 3, 2011

Beautiful Outlaw: My Review AFTER Reading the Book!


Jesus was accused of breaking the law, keeping bad company, heavy drinking, being the devil himself. But those who knew him best loved him passionately.
 
In an earlier post I excitedly told you about the book "Beautiful Outlaw" by John Eldredge even though I had only read one chapter. Hmmm, nobody commented that they thought that was strange, unfair, or highly illogical. If I had read my own blog I probably would have blasted myself for being so rash (actually I do read my own blog and sometimes it seems a lonely feeling!). Nevertheless, I felt I owed you a post-reading review of the book. In fact, this is the VERY FIRST book review I've written for Amazon.com ever! Apparently it takes 48 hours for Amazon to process my review before it is posted, so I thought I would give you a special treat and let you see it first (okay, you can stop the applause now)! It is possible that Amazon may reject my review though, so if that happens you will will be among the privileged few who get to read it. So, without further ado...

http://updates.ransomedheart.com/beautifuloutlawmain/
Click on the picture to go to the Ransomed Heart
website and learn more about the book and video.
Must Read!! (Five stars out of five)
This refreshing book reveals significant aspects of Jesus' personality that have been largely neglected by the church in my lifetime (I'm 52 and grew up in the church). In fact, John Eldredge takes on the "religious fog" that has typically resulted in perceptions of a "lofty" Jesus doing strange, undecipherable things. Take playfulness, for example. When Eldredge first mentioned that Jesus has a playful, humorous side I was skeptical. But this book is convincing. From chipmunks frolicking about to our own bantering and laughing with friends, where else would we think something this good comes from (after all, who created chipmunks, laughter, and us?). But humor isn't the only missing aspect of Jesus' personality tackled here. Jesus had a fierce intention...did you realize that Jesus deliberately took the time at the temple to make his whip from cords before he drove the money changers out of the temple? Jesus was more human than any of us, honest, cunning, and much, much more. If you are a believer, you will fall in love with Jesus all over again. If you are not a believer, this book is for you too; you may find yourself attracted to this beautiful outlaw who was constantly in trouble with the religious leaders of his day. Late in the book is a very good discussion about the practical accessibility of Jesus; that any of us can connect relationally with him and experience his presence and wonderful traits in our own lives. This is a fabulous book, perhaps even surpassing Eldredge's earlier books "Wild at Heart" and "Waking the Dead", and I highly recommend it.

Was this review helpful to you? Feel free to respond in the comments...unless of course you don't like it (only joking...Jesus was honest, so I want you to be too!).