Sunday, April 22, 2012

Your Original Glory

"I daresay we've heard a bit about 'original sin', but not nearly enough about 'original glory', which comes before sin and is deeper to our nature"      John Eldredge
The truest part of us isn't our sin or
our struggle, it is our redemption.

Stairway to Paradise, by Thomas Kinkade. When I saw this
painting I was deeply moved. To me it is a vision of what is to
come. Walking up the stairs and into the beautiful light beyond...
I was born an original sinner, I was born in original sin... So went the lyrics of the pop song "Missionary Man" by the Eurythmics in the 80's. For most of my adult life even as a Christian I identified myself as a "sinner". Granted, I believed I was saved by grace, but I didn't really understand grace. To me, grace was an old lady at church whose name was "Grace", and she was kinda scary to me as a kid!

The Heart is Desperately Wicked

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked, wrote the prophet Jeremiah (1). Look around at all of the heinous happenings in our world brought on by mankind and it is easy to believe. Even Jesus said: ...how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks (2). I grew up in the church but somehow I remained pinned down by my belief that even though I was saved by grace, I was at my core still a sinner ("snow-covered dung", if you will). Perhaps this conviction was subconscious, but nevertheless it kept me from experiencing the freedom, joy, LIFE in Christ that seemed to be promised in the Scriptures.

A few years ago I read Waking the Dead by John Eldredge, and he took this crippling belief head on (This book rocked my world!). To say that our hearts are wicked even after coming to Christ is untrue and unbiblical, Eldredge said, [this belief] is a religious fog of poison gas from the pit of hell.

I Will Give You a New Heart

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. (3). Jesus came to give us "heart surgery", so to speak. To remove our "wicked heart" and replace it with a noble and good heart. Does that sound almost like heresy or blasphemy? Many of my friends in the church seem uncomfortable with it (unfortunately). But I believe that this is part of what makes the Gospel such very good news. And without understanding that as Christians we have good hearts, we will never live the victorious, powerful lives that Christ intends for us. The truest part of you isn't your sin!

Consider this: Your story didn't start with sin and it does not end with sin.

When God created man and woman, we are told that he looked on them and called them good (4). Have you ever considered that when God created you, he endowed you with a glory unique to you that is good? (5,6) I had never thought of that. That is your "original glory".

Our story didn't begin with sin!

Obviously we live in a fallen world and thus, have been marred with sin (hence, 'original sin'). And without accepting Christ and repenting of our sins, we remain marred. But Jesus told us that he came "to seek and to save what was lost" (7). He came to restore our hearts. "God made him who had no sin [Jesus] to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God" (8). In Christ we have been transformed, even as we are being transformed (9). We've been given a new, good heart; he is restoring our original glory (10)!

Our story doesn't end with sin!

Let all of this sink in for a moment. Does it change anything or cause a hope or thrill to rise from deep within you? If you are a Christian, you have much more to rejoice about than you ever imagined. If you aren't a Christian, why miss out on such an offer? He extends it to everyone! (11)

Footnotes:

(1) Jeremiah 17:9
(2) Matthew 12:34
(3) Ezekiel 36:26
(4) Genesis 1:27,31
(5) For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Psalms 139:13-14)
(6) What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. (Psalms 8:4-5)
(7) Luke 19:10
(8) 2 Corinthians 5:21
(9) For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified. (Hebrews 10:14).
(10) Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. (2 Corinthians 3:17-18)
(11) Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. (Revelation 3:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment